Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cheesy Chicken & Rice

Everyone here knows my living situation. You can imagine, it is not always easy. We are trying to each find our roles, get in a routine & respect everyone else's needs and space. One of the things I've been trying to do is help out with dinner on the nights that I'm home. During my marriage, I remember what a relief it was on taco nights (he-who-shall-not-be-named made the BEST tacos. I miss them) when he would cook for me. So I know that something so little makes a big difference.

However, I'm not much of a cook- I have caught a few pots on fire. And my parents are crazy picky, so I'm easily frustrated when I put a lot of effort into a meal and they crinkle their nose and have to force themselves to eat it & request I not make it again. So to avoid fights, and a major disaster, I turn to the crock pots.

Sunday, my dad dispatched at like 4am and my mom was traveling all day, so it was the perfect opportunity to surprise them with dinner already prepared when they got home.

My mom's favorite is chicken and rice. But my dad thinks it's kind of bland. So I turned to this recipe for cheesy chicken and rice to hopefully satisfy my mom's favorite AND add a little extra something for my daddy.




I'm really not great at "presentation" as displayed by my classy paper plate lol but you get the idea.

It was really good. My dad said there was plenty chicken so he felt like he was actually eating chicken and rice instead of rice and chicken. My mom loved the added cheese. I think just simply the yellow rice (I used New Orleans Style) added more flavor than the plain white rice. They both agreed the corn was fine in it, but they weren't sure what it added, the meal would have been fine without it. But we are feeding a 2 year old as well, so it certainly doesn't take anything away from the meal so why not go ahead and sneak in the extra veggies, right?

2 comments:

  1. That looks amazing! :)

    Your story is amazing and I hope and pray each day is easier, better and empowering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good, even the next day for lunch (=

      Thank you so much. For reading along with me and for the prayers. Most the time they do get easier every day but sometimes it feels like one step forward and 10 steps back. I guess that's normal.

      Delete

Site Design by Designer Blogs