Monday, November 26, 2012

Independent Woman

All the women who independent, throw your hands up at mee....

This afternoon my daddy gave me a lesson in being a single woman.

I have always had my daddy, grandpa, or a husband. They handle things. I haven't had to. They didn't mind doing things. My husband even pumped my gas- for 4 years I never had to stand at the pump! Now? I don't have a husband. My grandpa is 5 hours away. My daddy works on the road.

I need to be able to handle things. I need to show my daughter that a woman doesn't NEED a man. Not for status, not for self worth, not to feel beautiful, not to measure her success, and not even to change a tire. That's right y'all, 3 months before my 25th birthday, I learned to change a tire. I got on the ground. I got my hands dirty. I was sore. I had to JUMP on the lug wrench to even budge it. But you know what? I did it. On my own. It felt better than I thought. I wanted to scream I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR! I was totally feeling all girl power.

It's the little things...

5 comments:

  1. Love it!!! :) I am married, but super duper independent...it's a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I was emotionally/mentally independent but I'm learning more & more everyday how much I rely on these guys for things. Things that I never even thought about before!

      Delete
  2. Way to go! I know HOW to change a tire... but I have never done it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I hope it was the last time I have to. It wasn't easy. To imagine doing it with cars flying by, raining, or 100* heat or dark night? PLUS a screaming toddler? Yeah..... I don't wanna!

      Delete
  3. GO GIRL! That was ONE thing that my dad made me learn how to do when I started driving!

    ReplyDelete

Site Design by Designer Blogs