Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Our Weekend

Aubrey Jo & I had the pleasure of spending the weekend with Scarlett & Stephen. I knew we would enjoy ourselves but wasn't prepared for what God had waiting when we arrived (or when we returned home).

Let's start with the pictures...

 The guest bedroom is BEAUTIFUL! And that bed? A cloud! Unfortunately though, we came in & dumped our things before I snuck a picture. But Scarlett has blogged about the wallpaper & will soon have a full room post. As you see, Violet is the only one that took advantage of DST!
 She was exhausted!
 Their home is right in town, but the view from over my coffee cup could make me feel a million miles from the real world.
 Disney Store fun.
We also did her 2 year photos while we were there. Scarlett IG'ed this from the back of her camera... Can NOT wait to see them (=


Matthew 18:20 says "For where two or three gather in my name, there I am with them."
And WOW did I feel Him there with us. In the little and the big. S&S are such wonderful people and I'm not even sure they understand all the ways He is working through them. I know I'm not the only one touched by them. But mine is the only experience I can speak to.

Top 3 moments of the weekend that will stay with me (in bullet points of course)
  • After A went to sleep, S&S took my hands and prayed with me. Prayed for me. This was the first time anyone has done this. Ever. It was intimate, personal and intense. A powerful experience. I felt so... loved? safe? reassured? comforted? strengthened? refueled? prepared for the next step? All of the above. Some of the most peaceful minutes in the last months. Many, many months.
  • I sat between Scarlett & her mom at church. I offered to swap so they could sit together. I was glad they didn't take  my offer because one moment, one whisper, touched me forever. At one point, her mom leaned across to her and whispered "you are just the most beautiful woman in the world." Scarlett just smiled & said thanks. This seemed like such a natural exchange. Like they were discussing weather. Don't get me wrong, my family compliments. But they are in teasing tones. "you clean up nice, got a hot date? Your hair looks good like that, you should brush it more often" that kind of thing. I never thought much of it. I knew they loved me. This is just how we communicate. Until I saw this. The way it made me feel. I knew then that I would be changing.  I may not be able to change how anyone else communicates, but I can change me. I can change how I give compliments. And you know what else I can do? I can start now raising a daughter that knows how to accept a compliment. And show her how to give them. That is HUGE! That is a change that will affect generations!
  • Their pastor said something Sunday.  I am just going to repeat the sentence & let it sit with you a while. "Do for one what you wish you could do for everyone."
Do for ONE what you wish you could do for everyone.......

2 comments:

  1. Um totally in tears reading this!!! Beyond the pictures, I'm so glad it was such a meaningful weekend for you sweetie! And funny you wrote about my Mom's out of the blue compliment. It caught me off guard in that moment, but I'm so glad it could help leave an impact in how you learn to speak to Aubrey Jo as she gets older. The positive reassurance from a mom truly goes a long way in shaping how a daughter views herself growing up. Aubrey Jo is blessed to already have such a caring and loving mom fighting for her in her corner! We loved having you at our home!! Come back soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I am so glad that you were able to venture to Mandarin this weekend. I am so thankful to have met you and to have worshipped with you. As I was reading your thoughts about Scarlett's mom leaning over and whispering of her beauty, my mind started racing. I pictured our God leaning over to you and whispering to you that He has known you before creation; you are fearfully and wonderfully made; you were woven together by Him, in your mother's womb; that you are a child of His and that you are glorious in His sight. He was whispering of the limitless depths of love that He has for you and that His love never fails. He was whispering that you were chosen by Him and set apart by Him and the crowning work of His creation. His grace, mercy, hope, and love are moving toward you and that you are truly beautiful in His sight.

    I love what you wrote about sensing HIm there with us. I think that He was saying that you are at home with Him. That He is a good, loving, and gracious God and that He was so glad that you were with Him. (He is always with us!) I am thrilled to meet you. I was on one of my runs and thinking of all that God may have 'whispered' to you on Sunday. I thought that I might share. Hope to see you next time that you pass through Mandarin. Blessings! Pastor Mark

    ReplyDelete

Site Design by Designer Blogs