Saturday, April 13, 2013

Children of Divorce

I get it. Divorce is messy, sad, confusing. For everyone, but I imagine especially for children who have no choice in the matter.

I wonder though, do all children of divorce really just want their family together? Do any of those children turn into adults & find that they are actually better off coming from a divorce than a home with unhappily married parents? Do any children whose parents stayed in a bad marriage "for the kids" turn into adults & look back and wish someone would have just been brave enough to leave?

I obviously have selfish reasons for asking. My parents are still married; my grandparents are still married. I come from a family where "marriage is hard but you make it work" but I also come from a family where BOTH spouses are working for it. So I'm fortunate in that I don't know how a child of divorce may feel. But I know this divorce has me questioning every single aspect of my life. Especially when it comes to my young daughter & what this will mean for her.

So I'm asking you. Children of divorced parents, or parents who should have divorced, where do I go from here? What do you wish your mom (or dad) would have known? When did you get over the fantasy? Or did you? Help me.

You don't have to comment, shoot me an email! JulianneTurner25@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested in the responses you get to this! I always wonder if DG's son is going to grow up wishing his mom and dad never got divorced. I know he is better off and I know he is going to have a great life living with us, but it makes me sad when he has to go to his mom's house every other weekend and I worry that someday he is going to say that he wishes he had a big happy family..

    ReplyDelete

Site Design by Designer Blogs