Tuesday, February 18, 2014

You're a Bad Friend



I admit... I relate to Porsha, I've been a bad friend. The last couple years I have not been as good of a friend as I want to be. I have been very focused on taking care of myself and my daughter. I make no apologies for it. Even before the actual separation, I was so much in survival mode that I couldn't be a friend to someone else.

I have some pretty amazing people in my life though. People that stuck around, have been good friends to me even when it wasn't reciprocated, have just totally been there for me - and Aubrey Jo - through it all. They have been much better to me than I deserved. But I love them for it.

The last few months, I have been trying to make efforts to reach out and be a more proactive friend. I try to be the one to initiate a lunch or mani/pedi, I try to be the one to send the first "how are you" text, I try to send a "just because" happy mail surprise. I'm still not as good of a friend as I wish I could be. The chaos in my life still sometimes wins. But I'm trying.

Yesterday, I picked up the phone and called one of my very best friends that I haven't really talked to in months. I hate talking on the phone, I'm a texter, but it was so nice to actually hear her voice and her laugh instead of reading an "lol". It was so nice! Something so simple, talking instead of texting or emailing, made such a big difference and really made me smile. I will not say I am going to start calling friends all the time. I'm still a texter as a general rule, as impersonal as it may be. But I'm going to make an effort to pick it up now and then.

What are some of your favorite ways to be a friend? What do your friends do for you that makes you feel most loved? Do you have a friend that you haven't reached out to lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Design by Designer Blogs