Monday, April 7, 2014

Big Block Pride

One thing Prissy loves to do is build princess castles with her blocks. It's one of her favorite things to do & she will sit for forever. (which, I realize a toddler forever isn't THAT long, but gives me enough time to put away laundry or unload a dishwasher by myself) Each time she completes her masterpiece, she comes to get me. I have to close my eyes and she holds my hand to walk me into her room. When we get there, she says "taa-daaaa" with her arms wide open! Of course I ohh and ahh and say "who did this?" Y'all, her face lights up when she says "me" and adds "all by myself". I tell her how proud I am and give lots of hugs bragging about how good she did.

Her smile in these moments is different than other smiles. She loves the praise but I tell her constantly how much I love her and how special she is. This smile is a smile of pride, she takes pride in her creation and simply finds joy in sharing it with other people who also are proud of her work. 

The other day I told her how proud I was of what she made. And, like us mothers do, I reminded her that I am proud of her everyday like she is of her castle. We like to remind our kids that we made them (and as they get older, perhaps that is delivered as a reminder "I brought you in this world, I'll take you out). 

I was halfway through this conversation about how I made her and take pride in all the things she does & love her so very much when I saw an opportunity. I took the opportunity to share something with her even bigger than my role in her creation and my pride and my unconditional love for her. 

I'm simply a vessel here on Earth for God who gets the real credit as The Creator. God, who loves her so much more perfectly than even her mama. 

It is a big message for a 3-year-old and I know she doesn't "get it" fully, but I am thankful for opportunities like this to put it on a level she can understand now. I read (most of) a parenting book about "dazzling" my child with His love. I found it to be so negative though. I don't want my child to think she was created flawed & is naturally bad but Jesus loves her anyways and "makes" her be good. I want her to know she was "fearfully & wonderfully made" in His perfect image and she is perfectly loved all the time. She is a unique creation He takes great pride in showing off, much like she does her Big Block castles. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Design by Designer Blogs